Saturday, August 27, 2011

Exchange 2010 Migration Made Simple

I was given the task of assessing and completing my organization's migration to Exchange 2010. Before I began migration, I did some research on whether moving from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 was worth the switch. In my opinion, Exchange 2010 offers better options for your organization because it makes email management even more flexible and reliable.
An Exchange 2010 migration would deliver high availability options and increased email security, providing integrated information protection and safe anywhere access. New role-based security models and self-service capabilities, together with the new Exchange Control Panel have simplified the management of Exchange infrastructure, greatly improving administrator and end user productivity. Exchange 2010 delivers a 70% reduction in I/O compared to Exchange 2007. This allows greater deployment flexibility and facilitates better use of existing storage infrastructure.
After I decided that an Exchange 2010 migration was necessary, it was time to figure out how to migrate without additional risk, costs and complexity during the process. I wasn't really concerned about the time needed to perform the upgrade, but rather how the migration would affect end users, such as downtime, data loss, interruptions to policy enforcement, and cost.
My solution to our Exchange 2010 migration was in the cloud. Using a cloud solution gave my organization built-in safeguards and provided an answer to all of my migration risks. It significantly lowered upfront costs, while giving me predictable future costs. A cloud solution eliminated complexity, provided rapid access to tamper proof email and data, reduced security risks, improved productivity and gave my organizational flexibility.
During the migration process I was tasked with breaking down an operational system and replacing it with Exchange 2010. This process naturally exposes my organization to an increased likelihood of email downtime, causing issues such as reduced employee productivity, dissatisfied customers, lost business and even damage to reputation. In order to avoid these issues I implemented email archiving, continuity and security services.
The first step I took in our Exchange 2010 migration process was email archiving. Email archiving in the cloud provided a backup for our server, offering a centralized and secure location for end users to instantly access email.
Then I implemented an email continuity service. Delivering my organization email continuity gave me the opportunity to migrate to Exchange 2010 at any time, rather than having to migrate during early morning or weekend hours. The continuity combined with the email archiving service provided end users access to email during the migration outage.
Finally, the last step in our Exchange 2010 migration process was to set up a security service. Our centralized security platform protects our new Exchange 2010 server from data leaks, internal and external threats. It immediately protected against know risks, minimized false positives and prioritized our good email.
Now that our Exchange 2010 migration is complete, I could not be happier. The migration process does not always have to be difficult and costly, and the cloud solution was definitely the reason why these issues did not arise. Simplifying email architecture, implementing email archiving, creating email continuity, and increasing email security all solved the risks associated with Exchange 2010 migration. I highly recommend a migration to Exchange 2010 following the easy steps outlined above.
Jennifer Flowers is a freelance writer and photographer with a passion for all things digital.

No comments:

Post a Comment